Nov 24, 2007

when will it stop?

My god, this has been quite the stretch.

Sat down for lunch yesterday, having bought myself a chicken caesar wrap, and a bowl of soup. I took a couple of bites of the wrap, then ate my soup. Went to continue with the wrap, and out of the corner of my eye, saw some pink. I thought "gee, that is some awfully pink chicken" then realized that I was currently devouring a shrimp wrap. Not good for me at all.

I threw the wrap down on my plate, told my co-workers to give the cafeteria heck, and called emergency first aid. I spent an hour in first aid, had a mild reaction (instead of anaphylaxis), and went back to work, so drugged I could barely stay awake.

How did I get a shrimp wrap, you ask? They were wrapped in exactly the same tortilla as the chicken, and on the same shelf where the chicken wraps have been for the last 2.5 years! The girls in the cafeteria gave the kitchen heck, and the kitchen said "We told you there were some shrimp ones in there with the chicken." Not good enough. No labelling, absolutely no indication that these wraps were different at all. They should have been cut in half so it was completely clear what was inside them.

While I was in first aid, one of my co-workers told the director of Food Services what had happened, and his response was "If it would happen to anyone, it would happen to Dave." I then saw him myself on two separate occasions later that afternoon. Not one "I'm sorry" or "How are you feeling?" or "That was awful!" It was business as usual.

This is the second time an unlabelled substitution has caused me grief... On Monday, I am going to go to the Food Services director and just be polite but firm: What is going to change? What can I watch for? Because, quite frankly, this shouldn't happen. Yes, the onus is on the allergy-bearer to be careful, but a wrap on a shelf labelled Chicken should not be full of shrimp!

Anyways, the Christmas Gala is tonight at work, so that is something to look forward to.

I'm out. Off to the clinic!

3 comments:

Claire 4:24 PM  

Raise Hell Dave. Can you imagine if you had eaten the whole thing? If you were a guest (especially from America) you would sue.

The Steadfast Warrior 5:49 PM  

OMG! I'm so glad that your reaction wasn't serious, but really, that should NEVER have happened. Claire and I will be on the sidelines waving our pom poms when you give them shit!

Go Dave!

Shwetablog 11:18 PM  

grt

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP