Sep 8, 2009

first days and odd moments

So my mother called last night to wish me a "Good first day at school." It was a really weird moment. I mean, I am excited for school to start, as the summer was (believe it or not) starting to become a bit interminable. But at the same time, I'm not going off to Grade 1 with my blue Care Bears lunch box... it just struck me as odd. I'm 26 years old, and entering the last year of my degree. Just seemed odd to be making such a big deal about it. Of course, she was then able to bring up Matthew and HIS school arrangements. Which, as many of you know, I am trying not to give a rat's ass about. Maybe it is all a game? I dunno.

But on another parent-related note, my mother tried to turn Matthew's birthday and mine into a giant shin-dig this Saturday, and were making a big deal about it. And I said no. I have to go to Victoria on Monday, and again the next Saturday, and I really don't feel like doing three same-day round-trips to Victoria over the next 10 days. Wanna know the scary part?

They listened.

I know. I was just as amazed as you are. I did arrange to have dinner with them the Monday night before heading back up-Island... but I did it cause it works for ME. So this is a new first.

And speaking of school... today was the first day! (I'm allowed to be excited about it, apparently). I had my Romantic Literature class first, which went surprisingly well. I was bemoaning the class as the first of my degree, as I am not an enormous fan of the Romantics, but it went really well. The prof is very engaging, the material is not overwhelming, and I think it will be a great course. Then I had Canadian Drama... which is going to be very predictable. It is a very small class, only about 10-12 of us. I'm not a fan of Canadian Lit, and I am pretty sure that that dislike will continue into drama as well. But, head down, I will get it done.

It feels good to start school. I've got something to sink my teeth into. And hopefully, something to update blogs with!

And I'm out.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP