Dec 3, 2008

curve ball

I'm not atheletic. Everyone knows it. Throw me your car keys? I'll drop them on the floor... If you are lucky, in my dramatic flail to catch them, I will knock something over or break a precious item.

But I am getting better.

The universe threw me another curve ball today. I kicked, I yelled (more like roared) and then I broke down and I cried. A lot.

StudentAid BC denied my application for funding for the current semester. I have funding for next semester, but I have decimated myself financially to make it through this semester. The reason for denying me funding? I earned too much prior to studying. But wait, look at the numbers.

$10,000 reported net income, and they want me to save $7762 of that. How, I ask you?

So I appealed the decision. I have already been through one special appeal to get the value of my car waived - they viewed it as an asset, even though it is a liability, and due to the way it was financed, I am contractually forbidden to sell it until I have paid for it. Anyways, they waived the car, great. They refuse to adjust my expected contribution. Why?

THEY THINK I AM GOING TO USE IT TO RUN MY VEHICLE.

The vehicle that is parked, uninsured in Victoria. A fact that they are aware of.

Sorry StudentAid, but here is a list of things that have to be taken care of before I even dream of operating my car again.

1. Monthly Car Payment
2. Rent
3. Food
4. The $600 for books and school supplies I owe my family.
5. The $300 I owe my brother-in-law, who has been buying my groceries.
6. The $402 I owe Bell for my cell phone bill, due by December 25 (Merry Christmas)
7. The $450 I owe Desjardin credit for my suspended VISA card.

I have destroyed myself financially, liquidating my pension and mutual funds to get as far as I have in this semester. I am working two part-time jobs, equalling about 25-30 hours/week in addition to my course load.

I think that I have juggled bills, and have real demonstrated need. But alas, due to the arbitrary decision on the part of StudentAid BC (the all-caps phrase above is a direct quote from the email that notified me), I am fucked.

So next semester, I will take the $2600 they have offered, pay my tuition, and use the balance to try and repair the damage from this term. I will take only three courses, and work as much as I can in order to get back on the horse, and try and finish part-time.

Long term goal? Right now, it feels like I need to get out of BC. We'll see.

Things I have lost today: I won't be able to volunteer at the Olympics, my financial security, and a few tears.

Things I have gained today: The life lesson that sometimes, it feels like you shouldn't even try. But when that happens, fight back or fight different.

Thank goodness I only have $13 to my name, or I might be tempted to drink... actually, I'm tempted, but, you know. Rice and beans first!

So there you go... how to juggle a curve ball.

I'm out.

2 comments:

Claire 5:46 PM  

Wow Dave. They couldn't have screwed you over more if they tried. Next time you're in town, I'll buy you a drink (or a few) and dinner. Let me know if I can help in any other way!

The Steadfast Warrior 6:40 PM  

Hey my friend. Right now you're at work. Just wanted to say hi again and give you a big HUG!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP