Dec 10, 2008

christmas music

I read an interesting article on the CBC's website about the worst Christmas singles of all time. I found it interesting, because in the comments there were a lot of people who were upset about the distinction between CAROLS and SONGS.

I have an appreciation for both. I enjoy the popular singles, most of which date from the 40s onward, to the traditional carols. I don't think that we need to have a clear separation - there aren't two camps to belong to. Pink Martini doing "Do You Hear What I Hear?" is just as good as "Once in Royal David's City" by the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.

I just feel like at this time of year, people get caught up in the hype for sure, but that there is a hype to the hype. It is almost cool to hate Christmas. Me, I enjoy it. It's a nice break to life, and it means seeing people I want to see and miss dearly, good food, cozy rooms, fireplaces, baking, and watching the mailbox for Christmas cards (which reminds me... I should get on top of mine). Personally, I like looking at other people's trees as well - each ornament usually has a story or some significant meaning attached to it.

Everyone just relax and enjoy the season, regardless of the reason.

2 comments:

Claire 8:07 PM  

Aww, that picture brought back happy memories!

The Steadfast Warrior 10:02 PM  

I know! I can't believe I won't be over at all till after Christmas. I love that photo. Somewhere I have the one of us skating with the lights all swirled.

I'm all nostalgic now... :)

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP